Joomla 4 - Release date, new templates, features and download
Updated on June 10, 2019
The project for developing Joomla 4 has started way back in 2016, bearing the hope of a revolutionary version for Joomla. In the present time, Joomla 4 is on the horizon.
To keep you up to date with this new version. This article will contain everything you need to know about Joomla 4.0 version.
- When is the release date?
- Why Joomla 3.10 is important?
- How can I download Joomla 4?
- What are the requirements for installation?
- What are the new features in this version?
- What are the new templates?
- JoomlaShine’s plan with Joomla 4
When is Joomla 4 release date?
Till now, there are only Alpha versions have been released with its latest version come out on 18th April 2019: Joomla 4.0 Alpha 9.
According to Joomla.org, the release date of Joomla 4.0 is determined. To be specific, The beta version will be released in June 2019 and the stable version will be on at the end of 2019. This is a great new for Joomla community when we can finally experience the better version of Joomla 4.
Since Joomla is a community-based CMS, so if you want to have a closer look at the process of developing Joomla 4, you can visit their Github project.
Why Joomla 3.10 is important to Joomla 4?
Joomla 3.10 is a minor update version of Joomla 3.9 where it will become a bridge to upgrade to Joomla 4.0.
It will contain backports of API changes from the 4.0 development branch to help ease the transition to the next major release for the community. Joomla 3.10 and 4.0 will be released simultaneously.
Therefore, we can guess the Joomla 3.10 stable version will be released at the end of 2019 also.
How can I download Joomla 4?
At present, you can download the latest Joomla 4 version from the link below. For future versions, you can check it out here.
Right now, you could try Joomla 4 demo in local hosting with simple installation steps.
What are the requirements for installation?
The system requirements have been updated as follows:
- PHP 7 +
- MySQL 5.5.3 +
- PostgreSQL 9.2 +
- SQL Server support has been dropped.
Joomla no longer supports using PHP's ext/MySQL driver (which was removed in PHP 7.0). Joomla will automatically try and use the MySQL extension (available since PHP 5.3) or the MySQL PDO Driver (available since PHP 5.3) else it will fail to create a database connection.
For more details, have a look at this article: Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 4
What are the new features of this version?
Since it’s a next major version, Joomla 4 is packed with many new and useful features. These changes mostly aim for enhancing the system performance and revamping UI/UX design, make this version more convenient to use. Joomla is widely known as hard for a new user, so the development team makes sure to change this thought in this version.
These are the summary of these changes:
- More powerful and much cleaner codebase. This new version will remove any outdated functions from the previous version. Moreover, Joomla developer will lover the new use of PHP namespaces, it will allow you to bring more robust extension, component to the version.
- Remove jQuery from the core.
- Install Joomla 4 within a minute. Very fast and simple installation process.
- Brand new backend and frontend template. If you have familiar and love the Wordpress backend admin, Joomla 4 is for you.
- Using Bootstrap 4. Neat!
- Joomla Framework's power has been merged into the CMS
- Rebuilt Media Manager with a cleaner UI and better UX (new image editing capabilities).
- A new Publishing Workflow to manage your articles in an advanced and customizable way.
- New security features: support for prepared SQL statements.
- An enhanced event dispatching system.
- Reworked Application for Command Line Interface (CLI)
- And many more!
(According to joomla.org)
Joomla 4 new templates
We can finally say goodbye to breeze 3 and protostar frontend template as well as isis template in the backend.
Let say welcome to Joomla 4 new front end template: Cassiopeia and new backend template: Atum.
New front end template: Cassiopeia
Continuing the space theme (SolarFlare from 1.0, MilkyWay from 1.5 and Protostar from 3.0), Cassiopeia is the Joomla 4 site template based on Bootstrap 4.
At first look, the template design still somewhat reflect its predecessor. However, the design is much lean and have adapted the modern style. Even without a 3rd-party template, you still can make a good looking and professional site.
New back end template: Atum
Continuing the Egyptian god/goddess theme (Khepri from 1.5, Hathor from 1.6, Isis from 3.0), Atum is the Joomla 4 administrator template based on Bootstrap 4.
The backend user interface looks very promising even when we are still on Alpha 6 version. Easy to notice that the menu bar has been changed from horizontal to vertical. The admin panel looks more logical and easy to understand.
If you want to know more about the current status of Joomla 4 backend template, you could watch this presentation of JoomlaDay Florida 2019: “Joomla 4 Backend Horizon” by Elisa Fotyn, lead designer of Joomla team.
JoomlaShine’s plan with Joomla 4
As in our previous blog, we are planning in detail what we are working to prepare for Joomla 4. Here is the summary:
- Make JoomlaShine product compatible with Joomla 4
- Launch Joomla 4 Update Service
- Making Joomla 4 tutorials and Joomla 4.x Made Easy eBook
- Keep you update with Joomla 4
The top priority of JoomlaShine is to make sure all of our products compatible with Joomla 4.
8. Experience Joomla 4 demo
For you to experience all the change in Joomla 4 to the fullest, we have built a Joomla 4 demo site with all the latest features. We hope with this demo site, you could easily get to know with the Joomla latest version without any installation trouble, and be totally well prepare for upcoming changes.
We will update these information constantly. So, keep in touch with us to read the latest news around Joomla 4!